DITAToo is a DITA Component Content Management System (DITA CCMS) that automates and facilitates many of the tasks you have to do everyday when working with structured content.
Whether you are looking for a specific piece of content, changing the structure of your DITA content repository and need all the links to be updated automatically, want to track how each DITA topic is reused, wish to produce an output based on DITA conditional attributes, or need to manage translations – DITAToo DITA CMS will do this for you.
DITAToo DITA CMS doesn’t require big budgets and weeks to be deployed. Installation and initial configuration will take you no more than 30 minutes. And after installation is done, working with DITAToo is easy!
DITAToo DITA Component Content Management Sysem (DITA CCMS) provides a complete set of features that you need to effectively manage your DITA content.
- Use DITA 1.1, DITA 1.2, or DITA 1.3
- Store specialized topics and maps in the repository – DITAToo correctly recognizes them.
- Author content in any DITA-aware editor.
- Convert MS Word documents to DITA using the built-in Word-to-DITA converter.
- Upload subjectScheme maps to the repository.
- Store content, including text, images, and multimedia, in a central database-driven repository.
- Access the repository from remote computers.
- Organize content in a folder structure.
- Manage who can access the repository and what actions each user can perform.
- Find topics you need using various types of search, including metadata-based and full-text search.
- Work with the DITAToo repository from any location without experiencing
- Access the DITAToo content repository through Windows Explorer.
- Check-in/check-out files, view version history, and change the workflow state in Windows Explorer.
- Open files stored in the DITAToo content repository directly from any application.
- Integrate the DITAToo content repository with any tool, whether it’s MS Word, DITA editor, Visio, Photoshop, Notepad, or anything else.
- Run global operations, like global find-and-replace, on files stored in the DITAToo content repository.
- Access translations.
- Perform batch processing of files stored in DITAToo repository.
- Create a list of tags that content authors can use to tag files and projects.
- Tag projects and filter them by tags.
- Tag any files stored in the repository and search by tags.
- Create and edit DITA maps from within DITAToo – no DITA editor is required.
- Pick up topics you need and add them into any of the existing DITA maps or create a new one.
- Create and edit relationship tables.
- Upload DITA maps from your computer – the map structure and relationship tables are preserved.
- If required, download a DITA map from DITAToo to your computer for local editing and publishing.
- Move files around the repository, rename files, and change the folder structure of the repository without worrying about broken links – DITAToo updates links automatically.
- Get automatic warnings when deleting files which are currently used in projects or in other files.
- Don’t worry about dependencies – when uploading or downloading files, DITAToo automatically detects linked files and uploads or downloads them all together.
- See where each topic is reused.
- Find unused topics.
- See to which files a topic refers.
- Find broken links.
Editing and Creating Topics
- Specify an XML editor to be used for editing topics – DITAToo automatically checks out a topic and opens it in your editor.
- Add links from a topic you are editing in a desktop XML editor to any file stored in the repository.
- Create new topics from within DITAToo.
- Publish through the DITA Open Toolkit (DITA OT).
- Publish to a wide variety of output formats, including PDF, HTML, Word, CHM, and Eclipse Help, from a single source.
- Use your DITA OT customizations for publishing, as required.
- Publish using Miramo and create your own templates in a WYSIWYG environment.
- Specify conditional content to be included into each deliverable – DITAToo automatically generates .ditaval files.
- Store combinations of conditional attributes and their values as publishing profiles. A publishing profile defines the conditional content to be exposed in a deliverable.
- When publishing a project, specify the content to be exposed by manually specifying values of conditional attributes or selecting a ready publishing profile.
- Generate a DITAVAL file from a publishing profile for publishing outside DITAToo.
- Download all files, including the map, topics, graphics, and DITAVAL files, to a local drive in a few clicks for publishing outside DITAToo.
Conversion from MS Word to DITA
- Convert legacy content from MS Word 2003, 2007, and 2010 to DITA.
- Convert even unstyled Word documents to valid DITA – no pre-cleanup is required.
- Get MS Word content automaticaly converted to DITA concepts or tasks – DITAToo automatically identifies information types in your MS Word documents.
Conversion from Text Files to DITA
- Convert Plain Text to DITA.
- Specify the target DITA information type for each file.
- Get numbered lists converted to either steps or ol depending on the information type you elected.
- Lock a file to prevent anyone else making changes when you are working on it.
- Keep track of versions for each file.
- Store comments on changes made in each version.
- Branch a current version or older versions of a topic or an entire project.
- Compare versions.
- View to which languages each DITA topic is already translated.
- View translations to which languages are still missing.
- Receive a notification every time a DITA topic in the source language is updated and viewing translations in which languages need to be updated.
- View the list of topics included into a DITA map with the indication of the translation status of each of them.
- Preview the contents of a DITA topic in a selected language.
- Select a language in which you want to publish a DITA map.
- Receive a notification when a project that you want to publish includes non-translated topics.
- Search for translated, non-translated content, and content whose translations should be updated.
Tight Integration with Adobe FrameMaker 11, 12, 2015 and 2017
- Access the DITAToo content repository from within the FrameMaker user interface.
- Check-in/check-out files without leaving the FrameMaker environment.
- Create new folders in the DITAToo content repository directly from FrameMaker.
- Move and rename files in the DITAToo content repository from within FrameMaker while DITAToo updates all links automatically.
- Add links to files and insert images stored in the DITAToo content repository.
- See where each topic is used directly in FrameMaker.
Release Management (baselines)
- Create a snapshot (known as baseline) of any project to freeze its state.
- Upload a translation to the latest version or to a baseline.
- Publish or download the latest version of the project or any baseline.
- Create as many workflow states as you need.
- Define actions to be triggered (for example, sending a notification email) when a file
enters this state.
- Define actions that cannot be done (for example, deleting a file) on the file while it is
in this state.
- Move files to workflow states.
- Assign a file to a user.
- Search by workflow states and assignments.