- Windows- or Linux-based, CPU frequency and number of CPUs don’t really matter, at least 8GB of memory, at least 10GB disk space.
- The more memory the server has, the faster it will work, but 4GB is the bare minimum.
- The faster the network connection is, the faster it will work. This is also true for the client machines (the standard 100Mb Ethernet that most companies have is more than enough).
- The more disk space the server has, the more time you’ll be able to use it before needing to scale up. An average database is about 4GB, but it will grow larger as more data is uploaded. I’ve never seen a database that took more than 10GB, but that doesn’t mean that this can’t happen. There are no physical limitations on database size.
- SQL-compliant server installed, configured, up and running – must. We work with MySQL by default, but MariaDB, Perscna, or MS SQL are also supported. Constant connection to the local network – must. Constant log on – not needed as long as the server doesn’t die when all users are logged out (shouldn’t be a problem).
- The server should not be allowed to sleep, hibernate etc when not touched for a long time.
- Access to the MySQL port (typically, 3306) must be enabled through the firewall.
- Generally, the server is the standard MySQL server, so all the requirements are pretty much standard.
- Please use MySQL 5.6 or 5.7. Lower versions are slower, and versions below 5.5 are not supported.
- Installation instructions for MySQL server can be found here.
- Only runs on Windows.
- System requirements to the client are pretty modest, almost any computer can run DITAToo. No special requirement to the memory, CPU and disk: as long as Windows can run, DITAToo can run.
- .NET 4.5 is a must.
- Java 6 or 7 is required for publishing, but not needed for DITAToo itself. That is, if you don’t intend to publish documents on this specific client machine, you don’t need Java.
- DITA-OT (1.7.5 or higher) is required for publishing, but not needed for DITAToo itself. That is, if you don’t intend to publish documents on this specific client machine, you don’t need DITA-OT. Other publishing engines are also supported, but DITA-OT works out of the box.
- MS Word is required if you intend to convert legacy Word documents to DITA.
- Some kind of DITA editor is usually required, although there are users who prefer to work in Notepad. DITAToo totally supports that (or any other DITA or plain-text editor for that matter).
- Windows Vista and up is a must. Windows XP, Windows 95, Windows 3.11 and MS DOS are not supported.